Tuesday, February 22, 2011

News gets through

These days I find myself looking to Al Jazeera English for up to the minute news from around the world.  Realizing that American news has biased us toward this news agency, I searched out some history and current information, only to discover that journalists from Canada and Britain are heavily involved with Al Jazeera.  I wrote an article for Suite101 summarizing what I had discovered, and predictably, there was an angry post from a reader prophesizing the "Islamification" of Canada.  I do believe Canadians are able to read diverse perspectives without becoming Americanized, Catholicized, Paganicized or otherwiseified. 
Here is a link to my aricle:
 http://www.suite101.com/content/al-jazeera-in-canada--a-welcome-voice-a345965

Noam Chomsky is an American with another take on North American culture, one which sees global dominance as an American quest.   This book was written a few years ago, but Noam's perspective on current affairs can be found on his blog:   
http://www.zcommunications.org/blog/noamchomsky

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my howl...

I'm so glad you dropped by... this blog is my way of spreading information about issues that I am most concerned about, through recommending books, blogs, or other publications.

I write for
Suite101 and I invite you to have a look at my articles, a variety of topics including animal conservation, current affairs, and travel.

I live on the left coast of Canada, proudly left of center and pleased to speak for the oppressed or those who do not possess their freedom, human or otherwise. I welcome thoughtful comments, reject abuse or raging rants.